Classic Vanilla Buttercream ( All Butter Recipe)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Place softened (not melted) butter into a mixing bowl, if using a stand mixer use the paddle attachment.
- Turn the mixer on a medium and cream the butter until it is smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add confectioner's sugar, 1 a cup at a time. After each cup has been incorporated, be sure to scrape down the bowl often.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt and combine until well-incorporated.
- Add milk or heavy cream until the frosting has reached the preferred consistency. For a firmer frosting, add more confectioner's sugar, a ¼ cup at a time.